Early this morning at approximately 02:50 Nichols and Trumbull Center Fire Departments were alerted to reports of a single car rollover with entrapment. Upon arrival Rescue 300 noted a single pickup truck style vehicle on its drivers side with the occupant still inside. Crews quickly stabilized the vehicle using cribbing, rescue struts, and a “tie back” device. They then worked to remove the roof of the vehicle to extricate the patient. The patient was then turned into the hands of Trumbull EMS. Units were clear within 50 minutes.

The Nichols Fire Department has recently seen a very large increase of motor vehicle accidents, including some that are very serious. We would like to remind everyone to always wear your seatbelts when in a moving vehicle, and to always maintain the posted speed limits.

Trumbull Emergency Medical Services (TEMS)

Trumbull Volunteer Fire Company, No. 1, Inc.

At approximately 22:55 hours on Friday evening, Nichols Fire Department along with Trumbull Center and Long Hill were called to the Marriott Hotel on Hawley Lane for a commercial fire alarm activation, reporting a pull station activation. Engine 301 arrived on scene within 6 minutes of the dispatch and began their investigation. Upon entering the building they were informed by maintenance of a possible smoke condition in a 5th floor room. On their way to the 5th floor they were updated further that there was a bed possibly on fire in the room. In the room 301’s crew found smoke condition along with a moderately burned mattress and sheets that were extinguished prior to their arrival. Crews worked to remove the smoke from the building and ensured the fire was fully extinguished. Crews remained on scene for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes assisting the fire marshals office with the investigation.

Trumbull Volunteer Fire Company, No. 1, Inc.

Long Hill Volunteer Fire Co. #1 Inc


Fire in a fryolator at McDonalds, fire was contained to the unit and hood/duct system. Units checked for extension and let the building naturally ventilate. As we approach the Holiday season the NFD would like to remind all residents to evacuate any building in case of a fire and immediately dial 911, and always having working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

On the morning of September 15th, the Nichols Fire Department responded to Merritt Blvd in the Corporate Park for a natural gas leak.

Crew working in front of St Vincent’s Special Needs had severed a natural gas main with a backhoe. Fire Personnel metered the area and adjacent buildings and awaited the arrival of Southern Connecticut Gas Co. The gas company was quickly able to clamp the leak.

The Nichols Fire Department cautions all to be very careful while digging and trenching, and to always be sure they utilize Call-Before-You-Dig before commencing any work.


Today Nichols assisted by the Trumbull Center & Long Hill Fire Departments responded to 50 Commerce Drive for a gas leak. First in units discovered that a 2″ 60 psi natural gas main had been severed by a backhoe. Firefighters evacuated the structure, secured water supplies, metered the building and awaited the arrival of Southern Conn Gas Co. The incident, which occurred during the heat of the afternoon, was put under control when SCGC was able to clamps the 2″ gas line and stop the flow of gas. The incident was turned over to the gas company, the last FD unit cleared at 1404 hours.

At 2220 hrs Saturday June 6th, The Nichols Fire Dept along with the Stratford Fire Dept.were dispatched to Rt15 exit 52 Southbound for an MVA assist EMS. The call was then upgraded to MVA with double entrapment. Members of the Nichols Fire Dept.worked alongside Stratford Fire Dept to remove the trapped victims from their cars.  Last FD units cleared at 2309 hrs.
Due to the location of the incident, both Stratford and Nichols Fire Dept’s respond on a “border drop” auto-aid agreement, this allows the closest unit to arrive first and begin life saving efforts regardless of the town.  A special thanks to Stratford Engine 4, TAC5, and Car 3 for their quick response Saturday evening. 
Stratford Fire Department’s Facebook page

June 13, 2017